The mission of Arrakis Therapeutics is to extend small molecule drug discovery into new realms of biology by discovering and developing compounds that selectively target RNA. By targeting specific RNA structure/function relationships, Arrakis will generate drug candidates with novel mechanisms of action for high-value molecular targets that are challenging to address via traditional approaches in therapeutic indications with high unmet medical need.
The Lab Manager will become a key contributor to the internal operations team and will be a face of Arrakis to external parties. The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of tasks involved in lab and facilities operations and will be able to work independently with little supervision. This person must be exceedingly well organized, flexible and enjoy the challenges of supporting a laboratory of diverse people. By enabling the work of the scientific team, the successful candidate will contribute to moving the mission of the company forward.
- Manage the day-to-day operation and maintenance of laboratory facilities, including management of building systems (vacuum system, compressed gasses, plumbing, power, lighting, security, and access control)
- Manage and maintain required Pest Control Program
- Report daily on pH neutralization system, as required by the MWRA
- Exercise emergency power generator in accordance to regulations
- Manage monthly preventive maintenance on Reverse Osmosis Di-ionized (RODI) pure water system
- Track and respond to temperature variations on chart recorder on cold room
- Manage service providers and vendor contracts related to the maintenance, calibration, and repair of facility and utility equipment and building systems
- Establish and manage the site’s facility and utility practices, policies, and procedures
- Provide project management for site capital projects, including tenant improvements, utility modifications
- Manage laboratory space planning activities, including lab bench allocation, occupancy forecasting and laboratory utilization, management of office relocations and moves, and creation of short-term and long-term tactical plans
- Management of the Building Management System (BMS)
- Manage all dock deliveries and outgoing shipments (Shipping and Receiving)
- Enable scientific progress by monitoring equipment needs including interfacing with service providers for instrument maintenance and coordinating with staff for lab operating needs. Point of contact for service vendors of lab instruments
- Respond to and troubleshoot general maintenance requests and on-demand issues affecting operations
- Respond 24/7 to on call occurrences in the laboratory or its monitoring systems
- Maintain pertinent documentation and equipment files, including drawings, O&M manuals, and service records
- Source, purchase and install new equipment and inventory controlled laboratory consumables
- Implement and manage inventory control systems for freezer storage and consumable stocks
- Implement and maintain required Chemical Inventory
- Oversee cleaning and autoclaving of laboratory glassware
- Responsible for overall laboratory organization and upkeep
- Identify and set up required recurring shipments such as dry ice and gas deliveries
- Work in close coordination with saftey consultant to ensure compliance in all matters with regards to safety
- At least 5-8 years of previous experience in facilities and lab management
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Must be able to work independently but seek guidance where appropriate
Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort. Focuses on key priorities. Does not let important details slip through the cracks. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of world-class.
Intelligence and innovation. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information.
Teamwork. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative working environment. Lets others speak and seeks to understand their viewpoints. Able to convince others to pursue a course of action. Able to communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Exhibits passion and excitement over work without losing objectivity. Has a can-do attitude.
Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change. Calm under pressure.