Associate Scientist, Biophysics-Mass Spectrometry
Do you have the passion to join a group whose mission is to pioneer the discovery of a new drug class to treat diseases unaddressed by today’s medicines? Does it excite you to be a part of a company with a focus on cancer and genetically-validated targets in other disease areas with unmet medical need? If yes, you may be a great fit to join Arrakis on our path to bring powerful new therapies to millions of patients.
Your Impact at Arrakis
The mission of Arrakis Therapeutics is to extend small molecule drug discovery into new realms of biology by discovering and developing compounds that selectively target RNA. By targeting specific RNA structure/function relationships, Arrakis will generate drug candidates with novel mechanisms of action for high-value molecular targets that are challenging to address via traditional approaches in therapeutic indications with high unmet medical need.
We are seeking an Associate Scientist in the Biophysics-Mass Spectrometry group to support the discovery of novel small molecule modulators of RNA targets. The position requires proficiency in multidimensional chromatography and mass spectrometry workflows for high-throughput screening of small molecule libraries. This is an opportunity to substantively contribute to a vital function of our fast-growing company. The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a collaborative, fast-paced start-up environment, leveraging a high degree of integrity, intelligence and innovation to make a large impact on our mission.
- Contribute to maintaining multiple multidimensional LC-Mass Spectrometry platforms. This requires exceptional instrument hygiene, analytical skills and diligent record keeping of platform performance.
- Design, validate and implement high-throughput small molecule library screens using affinity-based mass spectrometry approaches.
- Be motivated to independently analyze and report data from 100-1000s of small molecule candidates on a routine basis and report progress to team.
- Work effectively in a cross-functional capacity with the RNA biology, informatics, biology and chemistry teams to deliver high-quality results in an efficient manner.
- Routine use of an electronic laboratory notebook.
- Presentations of ideas and results, including issues & possible solutions, at project team or company-wide meetings.
- Work with Arrakis colleagues and leadership to ensure that project goals are met.
- Evaluate and implement new assay approaches as related to high-throughput mass spectrometry technologies.
- B.S. in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biomedical Sciences or related field with 5+ years of industry experience OR M.S. in related field with 2+ years of industry experience with direct experience in assay development and medium to high-throughput screening
- Experience with small molecule screening in support of medicinal chemistry. Specific experience in multidimensional liquid chromatography inline with Orbitrap detection and analysis.
- Hands-on experience in the independent design and execution of experiments.
- Strong mammalian cell culture experience.
- Experience with high throughput screening, liquid handing equipment and instrumentation, a plus.
- Hands-on experience with plate-based in vitro cell assays e.g. MSD platform-based assays or HTRF.
- Strong computer skills with experience with data analysis and data reporting.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and collaboration skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to effectively manage time and priorities.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with laboratory colleagues, research management, and project team leaders.
- Anticipates the need for contingencies and develops alternative strategies.
Arrakis is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, military service, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.