Do you have the passion to join a group whose mission is to pioneer the discovery of a new class of medicines to treat diseases unaddressed by today’s therapies? Does it excite you to be a part of a company with a focus on cancer and genetically-validated targets in other disease areas with unmet medical need? If yes, you may be a great fit to join Arrakis on our path to bring powerful new therapies to millions of patients.
Your Impact at Arrakis
The mission of Arrakis Therapeutics is to extend small molecule medicines into new realms of biology by discovering and developing compounds that selectively target RNA (“rSM”). By targeting distinct RNA structure/function relationships, Arrakis is generating drug candidates with novel mechanisms of action for molecular targets that are challenging to drug in disease areas with high unmet medical need.
Main job responsibilities:
We are seeking to recruit an experienced medicinal chemist (Scientist-II to Principal Scientist) who will be joining our fast-paced multidisciplinary rSM drug discovery team. Here are main job responsibilities:
- Ensuring the timely delivery of high-quality scientific milestones for the projects, including clinical development candidates;
- Provide leadership to the projects by serving as project chemistry leader and project co-leader when needed
- In the project co-leader role, to work with biology counterpart and team members to set project goals, define specific plans and allocate resources to execute such plans
- In the project chemistry leader role, to strategize project chemistry plan, design specific molecules, lead in house and external chemistry team at CRO to execute the chemistry
- Communicate project progress, issue and challenges and lead scientific discussions at various meetings.
- Synthesize and characterize small molecule compounds at bench
- Provide scientific leadership at Arrakis and serve as a mentor and leader to less experienced scientific contributors.
- Contribute to Arrakis’s scientific publications and patent applications
- PhD in organic chemistry or in a related field, with cutting edge knowledge on modern synthetic organic chemistry.
- 3-10 years small molecule drug discovery experience in industry setting, including experience in leading a chemistry team and/or a multi-disciplinary drug discovery team.
- Strong expertise in medicinal chemistry from early phase through lead optimization and development candidate selection.
- Proven track record of tackling drug discovery challenges and innovation to deliver clinical drug candidates.
- Experience with overseeing chemistry execution at CRO teams, especially in troubleshooting and enhancing CRO performance and productivity
- Broad understanding of the drug discovery and development process.
- Fluency in working within a multi-disciplinary team to devise experiments that illuminate critical problems.
- Strong record of peer-reviewed publications and/or external presentations.
- Ability to effectively manage time and priorities over multiple lines of work.
- Flexibility of working on bench chemistry.
- Flexibility to accommodate changes in project priorities and/or scientific directions.
- Excellent oral communication, presentation and writing skills.
Other Characteristics & Traits:
- Demonstrates independent, scientifically directed, and innovative thinking.
- Anticipates the need for contingencies and develops alternative strategies.
- Recognized as subject matter expert within function.
- Role model for scientific excellence.
Arrakis is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, military service, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.