Do you have the passion to join a group whose mission is to pioneer the discovery of a new class of medicines to treat diseases unaddressed by today’s therapies? Does it excite you to be a part of a company with a focus on cancer and genetically-validated targets in other disease areas with unmet medical need? If yes, you may be a great fit to join Arrakis on our path to bring powerful new therapies to millions of patients.
Your Impact at Arrakis
The mission of Arrakis Therapeutics is to extend small molecule medicines into new realms of biology by discovering and developing compounds that selectively target RNA (“rSM”). By targeting distinct RNA structure/function relationships, Arrakis is generating drug candidates with novel mechanisms of action for molecular targets that are challenging to drug in disease areas with high unmet medical need. The company is backed by top-tier VCs and recently entered into a strategic collaboration with a major pharma company.
We are seeking an exceptional Controller/Assistant Controller (title commensurate with experience) to lead and manage the accounting / finance operations of the Company. Reporting to the VP, Finance & Strategy, this is an opportunity to contribute significantly to a top-tier, rapidly growing, privately-held biotechnology company. The successful candidate will have a willingness and ability to manage and execute the entire range of tasks required to support the Company’s financial functions, bringing both a willingness to work in a hands-on capacity and experience building and leading a team.
The ideal candidate is a driven individual looking to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, biotech start-up environment, leveraging a high degree of problem-solving and troubleshooting skills to make a large impact on our mission.
Accounting & Reporting:
- Lead the accounting operations of the company including maintaining an adequate system of accounting records/policies and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results.
- Ensure that the company’s accounting procedures and reported results confirm to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements and monthly reconciliations of all balance sheet accounts.
- Interface with financial institutions, external auditors and advisors
- Oversee the independent valuation and year end independent financial statement audit.
- Implement & manage purchasing to payables process and provide sound financial guidance to company personnel on procurement decisions and contract negotiations
- Design & lead ERP system implementation (NetSuite)
- Manage payroll and benefits processes
- Research and advise the company on the adoption of critical financial systems.
- As required, take lead on preparing and readying the organization for SEC standards, including reporting, compliance and implementation of Sarbanes Oxley.
- Manage the company’s tax reporting and state filing requirements.
- Manage the company’s corporate insurance policies.
- Manage the company’s cash-flow, including bank accounts and investments.
Financial Planning & Analysis:
- Support all planning, budgeting, forecasting, analysis and reporting.
- Lead performance management vs. budget on a monthly basis.
- Organize and prepare financial materials and Board presentations.
- Assist with maintenance of the Company’s capitalization table and support shareholder reporting.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Accounting with current CPA/Chartered Accountant license desired.
- High-energy leader experienced in leading a corporate accounting team in a fast-paced, high-growth company, with a willingness to “do it all” and take a hands-on approach
- Minimum 10+ years’ experience in corporate and/or general accounting including recent public company experience as the controller or assistant controller including managing public offerings either from within the company or during accounting firm experience is required.
- Prior experience in the biotechnology industry including accounting for R&D collaborations.
- Big 4 Public Accounting, SEC reporting, and US GAAP experience preferred.
- Privately held VC backed company experience strongly preferred
- Strong people leader with five or more years of supervisory experience and an ability to produce quality results in an efficient manner within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Ability to implement and research new and emerging accounting trends, as applicable.
- Experience implementing/maintaining ERP systems and developing reporting and analytics capabilities.
- Collaborative business partner adept in building cross-functional relationships to drive business results and process improvement.
- Exhibit the highest degree of ethics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Arrakis is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, military service, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.