Do you have the passion to join a group whose mission is to pioneer the discovery of a new class of medicines to treat diseases unaddressed by today’s therapies? Does it excite you to be a part of a company with a focus on cancer and genetically-validated targets in other disease areas with unmet medical need? If yes, you may be a great fit to join Arrakis on our path to bring powerful new therapies to millions of patients.
Your Impact at Arrakis
The mission of Arrakis Therapeutics is to extend small molecule medicines into new realms of biology by discovering and developing compounds that selectively target RNA (“rSM”). By targeting distinct RNA structure/function relationships, Arrakis is generating drug candidates with novel mechanisms of action for molecular targets that are challenging to drug in disease areas with high unmet medical need.
We are seeking an experienced Medicinal Chemist (Senior Scientist) to join our fast-paced multidisciplinary rSM drug discovery team. The ideal candidate will enjoy a collaborative multidisciplinary start-up environment with integrity and innovation being central to our culture and mission. This is an opportunity to contribute to a cutting-edge drug discovery platform and fulfill a vital high impact function in our fast-growing company.
- Partner with supervisor to develop a state-of-the-art Medicinal Chemistry capability at Arrakis, ensuring the timely delivery of high-quality scientific milestones for the projects, including clinical development candidates
- Serve project chemistry leader and project co-leader when needed, communicate project progress, issue and challenges and lead scientific discussions at various meetings.
- In the project co-leader role, to work with biology counterpart and team members to set project goals, define specific plans and allocate resources to execute such plans
- In the project chemistry leader role, to strategize project chemistry plan, design specific molecules, lead in house and external chemistry team at CRO to execute the chemistry
- Lead by example by sharing best practices within the Medicinal Chemistry function and ensuring optimal use of resources
- Foster a positive and collaborative work environment across research functions.
- Contribute to Arrakis’s scientific publications and patent applications
- PhD in Organic Chemistry, with cutting edge knowledge of modern synthetic organic chemistry
- 5+ years of Small Molecule drug discovery experience in an industry setting
- Relevant experience in medicinal chemistry from Hit identification, Hit-to-Lead and Lead optimization including development candidate selection.
- Experience in structure-based drug design (SBDD) is preferred
- Experience with overseeing chemistry execution at CRO teams, especially in troubleshooting and enhancing CRO performance and productivity
- Solid understanding of the drug discovery and development process.
- Fluency in working within a multi-disciplinary team to devise experiments that illuminate critical problems.
- Flexibility to work on bench chemistry and to accommodate changes in project priorities and/or scientific direction.
- Demonstrates independent, scientifically directed, and innovative thinking.
- Anticipates the need for contingencies and develops alternative strategies.
Interested in learning more about Arrakis? Click on the links below!
Arrakis is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, military service, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.